The pros and cons of School Uniform
The pros and cons of School Uniform – Chennai Uniforms
The controversy over school uniforms may be argued on both sides of the debate.
* School uniform supporters are enthusiastic about the positive changes that have been observed in students.
* Students are made to feel as if they are a part of a team by wearing a uniform.
* School climate is improved considerably because kids perceive that they fit in because they look like everybody else.
*Uniforms create social harmony due to the uniform look of similarly clothed students.
*Student respect for teachers, administrators, and especially for each other would be improved with the institution of a mandatory uniform dress code.
*With the high cost of clothing today, school uniforms can lift a financial burden from students’ families. The cost of designer clothing, and especially footwear, is expensive.
*School uniforms would assist students and parents in other ways. Students would learn to appreciate the elimination of so many choices when getting dressed for a school day. Students would not be tardy for school as often because of the indecision about what to wear in the mornings.
*Intruders in school buildings could easily be spotted if all the students were wearing a similar style of dress.
* The other side of the dispute purports that creativity is expressed in many ways and has little to do with what you are wearing.
* Critics of school uniforms also say that growing up through the adolescent years and experimenting with clothing is a normal, developmental stage to adulthood. Adolescence is a period when youths attempt to find their own uniqueness and individuality in various ways.
*As far as uniforms clouding the socio-economic background of students, there will always be ways to impress others with a person’s economic status in life. What a person wears is a prime indicator of their economic standing. “Economic distinctions are part of the fabric of our society, and they will not be unraveled by covering them with a uniform.
*According to a recent survey, 80% of the middle school students indicated that fights would not be reduced because of uniforms. 68% felt that uniforms did not help them become a part of the school. 71.2% stated they did not feel safer going to and from school because of uniforms.
* Choices for the school uniform should be stylish and attractive, making them acceptable and likable by kids. Most of the school uniforms look shabby and are not likable by kids.
The answer to the school uniform debate is not a simple yes or no answer. There is no clear consensus as to the benefits of school uniforms. At the very minimum, schools should address the issue of a dress code. It is not necessary for the code to be rigid. But it is necessary for the dress code to be reasonable and fair. The best interests of students and their welfare should be addressed. There is no magical solution to the stopping of school violence and the improvement of discipline. Much of this answer lies in the chemistry that exists in a school between students and staff. Uniforms might appear to the public as the cure-all for a schools’ ills, but the ultimate decision on behavioral change is made by the children themselves.